A Favorite Tomato Soup Recipe On National Grilled Cheese Day
Is there a better pairing than a grilled cheese sandwich and tomato soup? Not that we can think of! So to celebrate National Grilled Cheese Day (4/12/22), here is a delicious tomato soup recipe to consider from The New Basics Cookbook.
Serving Size: 6
- 70 ounces plum tomatoes with their juice — (2-35 ounce cans)
- 2 carrots — thinly sliced
- 2 onions — thinly sliced
2Teaspoons Olive Oil
- 6 cloves garlic — chopped (6 to 8)
- Grating of nutmeg (1/4 tsp.)
- 1/4 Cup Torn Fresh Basil Leaves
- 1 Pinch Oregano
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 2 Teaspoons Sugars
- Salt & Pepper — to taste
- 2 cups cream or half-and-half
- Saute onions, carrots, and garlic in the olive oil, until limp, about 10 minutes.
- Add remaining ingredients, except cream. Bring to a boil.
- Turn heat down and cover slightly, simmer for 50 minutes.
- Puree the soup in a blender (be very careful to not put too much soup in blender at one time, so it doesn’t explode throughout your kitchen!!!)
- Put back in soup pot. Add the cream or half- and-half, heat through.
- Adjust seasonings.
- Serve with a grilled cheese.
We have one final recommendation when enjoying the perfect pairing of grilled cheese and tomato soup. Make sure to wear a NEATsheet to eliminate the inevitable splatters and stains.